The Forming of Sansia Town and Flourish Business During Qing Qianlong
From the late Ming Dynasty to the early Qing Dynasty, people from China immigrated across the Taiwan Strait to come and start cultivating land in Taiwan. Because of the convenience of irrigation and land fertility, most started their farms along riversides, and as such the earliest stages of Sansia’s development was along the Dahan, Heng and Sanxia Rivers. From there, development gradually moved inland toward the mountains.
Because the mountain areas in Sansia are large, the pioneers took to planting daqing (a plant used for its dyeing properties), and this was complemented by tea plantations, since the climate was agreeable to its growth. The area was also home to rich stocks of camphor, and so in the earliest periods of Sansia’s growth, camphor, dyed cloth, and tea were the primary products.
During Qianlong, more and more immigrants from Anxi moved to Sansia and formed the triangle pour village. At the same time, Sanjiaoyong Street, the first street of Sansia (is now called Minquan Old Street), formed its rudiment.
Sanjiaoyong as a distributing center during the late Qing Dynasty, the three major industries were boiling camphor, dyeing cloth, and making tea. The locals made use of the ramification of the waterways, sent the products everywhere in Taiwan and even exported to other countries. During the golden age of Sanjiaoyong, more than 60 ferries came and went. The village streets were busy and flourishing.
Actively Constructing Sansia With Special Architectural Style While Under Japanese Colonial Rule
In 1895, the Treaty of Shimonoseki was signed, and then the Japanese army landed on Taiwan.
The defense of Sanjiayong volunteers fought back and killed hundreds of Japanese soldiers. Soon after that, Japanese army burned streets and killed in revenge, so Sanjiaoyong village and Zushi Temple were reduced to ashes and rebuilt again at the beginning stage of Japanese colonial rule. At the middle stage of colonial rule, Japanese started to mine and lumber. Mining and lumbering, therefore, became the sunrise industries.
Meanwhile, blue-dyeing industry was replaced by western-style clothes and cloth stores. In 1916, Japanese officials carried out the regular street layout, which formed the face of today’s Minquan Old Street and built up easy and convenient railroads as the main transportation.
As colonial rule came to an end, Japanese officials started the Kominka movement. The landmark of Sansia, Hong Bridge, was completed at the same time. The age of water transport was terminated, and the industries in Sansia village gradually became basic living consumption.。
The Recovery of Taiwan, Sansia Qingshui Zuahi Temple Glows With Art
After the recovery of Taiwan, Sansia village became a town. The belief center of Sansia,
Zushi Temple was rebuilt again by the artist, Professor Li Mei-Shu. Because of the unique and delicate building techniques, Zushi Temple gains the fame, Art Palace of the East. Besides the sacred religious atmosphere, Zushi Temple also possesses precious artistic value.